If you’re convivalist, then you’ll surely love the quotes of Mahatama Gandhi about animals. Gandhi shared some remarkable quotes on animals that will inspire you and motivate you to love and respect animals.
Mahatama Gandhi (or Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi) is one of India’s and the world’s greatest leaders who played a crucial role in India’s independence.
Famous Mahatma Gandhi Quotes About Animals
1. “The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way in which its animals are treated.”Mahatma Gandhi
A nation will flourishes when it regards animals life as precious as human life.
Because “Life is life–whether in a cat, or dog or man. There is no difference there between a cat or a man. The idea of difference is a human conception for man’s own advantage.” – quoted by Sri Aurobindo
2. “To my mind, the life of a lamb is no less precious than that of a human being.”
This is true because “
being a humanitarian, supporting animal rights activists, human rights activists, it’s all the same” said Daryl Hannah.
3. “Ethically they had arrived at the conclusion that man’s supremacy over lower animals meant not that the former should prey upon the latter; but that the higher should protect the lower, and that there should be mutual aid between the two as between man and man.”Mahatma Gandhi
Life is as dear to a mute creature as it is to man. Just as one wants happiness and fears pain, just as one wants to live and not die, so do other creatures. – The Dalai Lama
4. “The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated. I hold that the more helpless a creature the more entitled it is to protection by man from the cruelty of humankind.”
― Mahatma Gandhi
I believe animals should be respected as citizens of this earth. They should have the right to their own freedom, their own families, and their own life. – John Feldmann
5. “It is my firm conviction that man need take no milk at all, beyond the mother’s milk that he takes as a baby. His diet should consist of nothing but sunbaked fruits and nuts.”― Mahatma Gandhi
Autobiography: The Story of My Experiments with Truth
We should remember in our dealings with animals that they are a sacred trust to us from our Heavenly Father. They are dumb and cannot speak for themselves. – Harriet Beecher Stowe
6. “Man is more than meat. It is the spirit in man for which we are concerned. Therefore vegetarians should have that moral basis – that a man was not born a carnivorous animal, but born to live on the fruits and herbs that the earth grows.”― Mahatma Gandhi
If a man aspires towards a righteous life, his first act of abstinence is from injury to animals. – Albert Einstein
7. I would give up milk if I could, but I cannot. I have made that experiment times without number. I could not, after a serious illness, regain my strength, unless I went back to milk. That has been the tragedy of my life. But the basis of my vegetarianism is not physical, but moral. If anybody said that I should die if I did not take beef tea or mutton, even on medical advice, I would prefer death. That is the basis of my vegetarianism.
― Mahatma Gandhi
Animals are not brethren, they are not underlings. They are other nations, caught with ourselves in the net of life and time. – Henry Beston
8. “It ill becomes us to invoke in our daily prayers the blessings of God, the Compassionate, if we, in turn, will not practice elementary compassion towards our fellow creatures.”
I hope you liked the quotes on animals by Mahatama Gandhi. Now, you can share on your social accounts and with your friends.